Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Island Life Bakagen

So, we finally just finished our last leg of training in Vila and are finally heading home after two weeks of being away. I'm happy to be going home, but very sad to be leaving all my fellow SHREPers. The past few weeks have been full of teacher-training, kava drinking, dancing, and spelling. Now, as I sit here in Santo, I'm just beginning to realize how much I wasn't able to accomplish while I was in town. No worries tho, I'll have plenty of time to work on stuff once I get back home.

Now, a little about training...
Our training began on the 18th and lasted until the 28th. The days all began around 7:30am and finished around 3-3:30pm. Each day we had talk talks with various people who work within the Education sector here in Vanuatu. The training was great, especially the IT. I believe this time around, the training for our group was a step up from the last. I'm taking back a bunch of resources that I think will be beneficial for both Stephanie and I for the new year.

What did we do on our down time? Well, plenty of things to do and not enough time to do them all. Myself and a few other volunteers took it upon ourselves to enjoy kava almost every night while in Vila. I managed to check out six different kava bars while in Vila. Seaside Maewo was my favorite one out of the group with Reynolds being a close second. I've named Reynolds the 'Epcot' of kava bars because they offer kava from different islands. I like having the option to choose different kinds at one location.

The downside of drinking kava, for me at least, is the lack of desire for food afterwards. Some people enjoying eating a big meal, but me not so much. I was planning on having a 'Last Supper' with Jennifer on our last night, but kava took precedence and I missed out on a delicious pasta meal from the hotel. I'm a fan of kava, so this wasn't such a bad thing.

So now, after all this time being away from my site... I'm ready to go back. I actually miss my host family and my house. I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own 'large' bed and showering in my own shower. I might have even possibly gained a little weight while I was in Vila, so it'll be nice to shed that off again, haha. I'm excited to see if my avocado tree has started producing it's delicious little fruits :) I was told that it would be by the time I returned... fingers crossed. Also, power should be back on all day which will allow me to start working in my lab during the day again. So many things to do... ale for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment